28 October, 2006

Dreifaltigkeitskirche - Salzburg - Austria






















The Dreifaltigkeitskirche or "Trinity Church" is located on the right side of the river Salzach. It was built between 1694 and 1702 by Fischer Von Erlach by the order of Prince Archibishop Johan Ernst Von Thun to house a seminar for young men in training to become priests.

Like the other churches built by Von Erlach, this church also has a central dome, a plaful façade and two towers that make it appear like a palace. The architecture was inspired by Roman designs.



After visiting the Holy Trinity Church, I walked over to the other side of the building and entered the Residence square. It is the heart of the old city. Archibishops used the Residence buildings from 17th C onwards. The residence fountain is 15Mts high and is the Largest Baroque fountain outside Italy. The fountain was built between 1658 and 1661 with marble from Untersberg -- a mountain near Salzburg. It was possibly built by Italian artist Tommaso di Garona.
















The waterspouting horses shot to world fame as they were featured in the movie "Sound Of Music". Maria boards the bus to the Trapp family house in the Residence square. As she crosses the square, she splashes her hand through the water of the Residence fountain and sings "I have confidence in me"



What will this day be like? I wonder.
What will my future be? I wonder.
It could be so exciting to be out in the world, to be free
My heart should be wildly rejoicing
Oh, what's the matter with me?

I've always longed for adventure
To do the things I've never dared
And here I'm facing adventure
Then why am I so scared


Oh, I must stop these doubts, all these worries
If I don't I just know I'll turn back
I must dream of the things I am seeking
I am seeking the courage I lack



And mind me with each step I am more certain
Everything will turn out fine
I have confidence the world can all be mine
They'll have to agree I have confidence in me

I have confidence in sunshine
I have confidence in rain
I have confidence that spring will come again
Besides which you see I have confidence in me

Strength doesn't lie in numbers
Strength doesn't lie in wealth
Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers
When you wake up -- Wake Up!

It tells me all I trust I lead my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone
(Oh help!)

I have confidence in confidence alone
Besides which you see I have confidence in me!


(I have deleted a couple of paragraphs from the original lyrics :)... that I don't really enjoy much :)....)



A few local musicians were playing their music instruments and selling the CDs of the songs they had recorded. I sat in the cool shade and enjoyed their music for a while.

3 comments:

Vinutha and Lingaraj said...

the poem is too gud!! did u have similar thots as that r in the first 2 paragraphs, when u ventured out all alone ?

Casey said...

Yup :) you are right.... one of the reasons that I love this song is because I can relate to it :)...

Anonymous said...

A very nice content along with very good information and it is very useful and helpful.Thanks for sharing
Golden Triangle Tour Packages